Our program begins with a participant intake and questionnaire, which allows us to determine the skills that your child already possesses, as well as those in need of strengthening and/or development. Documents such as IEPs (Individualized Education Plans) and BIPs (Behavior Intervention Plans) help us to develop short term goals and objectives. Once we have a comprehensive understanding of your child’s needs, we develop a plan to meet them. Using the principles of applied behavior analysis (ABA) and verbal behavior (VB), The KISS Center works to develop an individualized curriculum for each student.
The following are some examples of the social skills targeted for intervention:
• Making eye contact
• Exchanging greetings
• Using appropriate body language
• Initiating interactions such as play, conversation, etc.
• Responding to interactions
• Engaging in activities with others
• Taking turns
• Problem solving and trouble shooting
• Understanding other people’s body language such as facial expressions
• Understanding and expressing emotions
• Self-esteem and self-confidence
Strategies utilized for teaching social skills:
• Role play
• Social Stories
• Video Modeling
• Video Feedback
• Positive Practice/Rehearsal
• Behaviorally based teaching strategies to include task analysis, various prompting and reinforcement procedures (including but not limited to peer to peer prompting, group incentives, etc.)
Throughout the program, we continually evaluate and monitor your child in order to ensure that progress is being made. We offer a high staff to child ratio, allowing for more individualized attention in our programs. Participants are grouped by age and ability. Adaptations are made when needed to facilitate active participation. In addition to quality programming, participants have many opportunities to socialize with peers and build life long friendships. Beyond just fun and games, our programs bring opportunities for physical fitness, increased self-confidence, socialization and cooperation. Whenever possible, we encourage the integration of participants into JCC classes, camps, after-school programs, groups and events. Inclusion in these programs helps develop a strong sense of belonging to the Jewish community.
To help ensure the most appropriate placement for each person, all new participants must schedule an intake interview. All information and IEPs shared with the KISS Center staff is kept strictly confidential. Once the KISS Center Intake packet (see below) is completed, please email it back to email@example.com or send it via postal mail to the Mid-Island Y JCC, attention KISS Center.
KISS Center intake packet